Friday, September 23, 2005

Educating Rita (or being educated by Rita?)

I couldn't watch the Katrina coverage. But here I am, glued to the Weather Channel, since all I have is basic cable, watching and waiting for my hometown to be leveled.

I am also worried about my sister, to whom I spoke last around 3pm yesterday. She was loading up to leave. I had pleaded with her Tuesday to get out. She tried to tell me that they were fine, on "the highest spot in town". Bullshit. When you only live less than 30 miles inland and a storm like this comes up, that means nothing. Nothing. She then told me that she had things packed, and they would decide on Thursday. So I called, got no answer and left a message asking her to let me know what they decided.

She called me about 15 minutes later, said that they were scheduled to go to a shelter in Marshall, TX. That's about halfway from her house to mine. I told her she could come here, but all I have is the floor to offer. She said they would be leaving as soon as they were packed. Hmmm...thought she was ALREADY packed. I told her I loved her and be careful, call me when they get to the shelter.

I tried to call Thursday evening around 9 PM. The lines are jammed. I can't reach her. The Weather Channel reports people stranded on the gridlocked freeways, running out of gas and throwing baby diapers out the windows of the cars. I don't know where she is. I feel frantic. I am going to have to report to my mother and I have never really been able to lie to her. I have avoided telling her the entire story, but I can't lie to her. Maybe I can say that she headed for higher ground, and that she will call when the lines are open.

During all this, neither of us has heard from my brother. Seems like he could have offered my sister refuge in Central Texas. Guess he's got other fish to fry.

All I can do is stay tuned. And sleep with the cell phone next to me. And pray.

No comments: