Tuesday, May 02, 2006

So close, but not quite.


I just couldn't do it. It's about 4:30 pm, and I just shut off the sewing machine after a marathon sewfest. I was down to the last bit of background quilting, but the borders needed to be put on, and they would need to be quilted, too. I went in to square up the quilt and my brain no longer functioned. I haven't really slept in about 36 hours. I tried to nap yesterday, but my brain at that point was in high gear, figuring all sorts of cool things to do on this quilt. If you look closely, some of those things are the three dimensional belt on Gunther and the archer chick, the 3D quiver with arrows, something you can't see in this shot...a 3D scabbard for a very cool dagger on the archer chick's calf.

The lesson to be learned here is...get your act together, Alice. Starting this thing one day earlier would have made the difference. I tossed in the towel knowing that I had less than 3 hours before FedEx closes to mail my photos for the jurying of the contest. Reality sunk in when I thought about the fact that it will probably take me that long to put the binding on, once I get it cut.

Face facts, girl. You might be Darediva, but you ain't WonderWoman.



I quilted a boatload of oak leaves into the background, rather than do all stippling. They aren't really yellow, that's just a highlighter effect to show you where a couple of them are.

At least, this will be done for us to take with us this weekend when we go to Dallas for Cape 2!

6 comments:

s-fallow said...

I hope you're still sleeping...

Just wanted you to know that I applaud your efforts. The creation of this work of art is important in and of itself. Any contest was secondary.

I look forward to seeing the completed masterpiece.

Best to you and Kit.

Love,
S

Darediva said...

I crashed before 7 pm Tuesday, and woke up just a bit ago for the requisite pit stop and feeding of the "midnight snack" to the critters who were clanging the empty bowl.

I hate that I failed the deadline, but it's true, the contest was at most secondary. Working on this project, and planning the one with K's art on it (a companion piece, if you will) has been good for both of us. She is so much fun to work with, and her friendship is so important to me.

I would not have done this project total justice had I finished it right now. A couple more days will give me a chance to do things right. I was reminded yesterday of that old chestnut my mentor would tell me when she was honing my sewing skills: whatever you do, it's worth doing right. ALWAYS turn in your best work. NEVER settle for "good enough", because it never is.

I still love you, Mrs. Daugherty. Along with my mom, you gave me the life skills most enduring. I hope this would do you proud.

Kev said...

It's looking absolutely stunning, Alice. Glad that you didn't work yourself into a frazzle (just a partial one, it seems) to turn in work that you were not totally happy with, though. I imagine it will be amazing when it's finished, and to your satisfaction.

I hope you and Kit have a good time at CAPE this weekend.

Northmoony said...

I notice those 3D belts, COOL!
Are they real belt-heads?

wonda said...

Alice, don't overstrain your eyes or work at the expense of your health. There is always another chance. Can you submit your work for another contest?

Darediva said...

Thanks for the kind words. I nearly self-destructed in the haste at the end, but a good night's/day's sleep and a visit to the massage therapist later, I am good to go again.

Yes, that is a real buckle on the belt, and the straps are connected to a brass ring (actually a split keyring). I fabricated the belts out of a leather-looking cotton fabric, and sewed them into the seams between the applique. There will be other 3-D details that I will photograph close up when the entire piece is done.

There is another contest where I can submit this piece. The International Quilt Festival in Houston has a deadline in June. I can get it done for that.