Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Comix today

It took me years to admit this publicly. I read comic books. There...now the whole world knows. I'm out of the closet, no longer do I have to smuggle them home in Kroger bags inside the latest copy of Woman's Day. Although, now, there is no one to hide them from. The cats don't care if I have this insane passion for Daredevil, as one of their favourite things is to scratch their clawless paws on the handle openings of my comic storage boxes. It makes the most absurd sound, and I know exactly what they are up to when I hear it.

Today was the seventy-first issue of the second volume of Daredevil. It's the beginning of a new story arc called Decalogue, and the premise is a good one, based on the Ten Commandments. Brian Michael Bendis is a genius. He has been writing DD on a regular basis since issue twenty-six, and held me spellbound. Accompanying his master storytelling is Alex Maleev, an artist with such a distinct style in this title that when they both depart the book at the end of the year, I am not alone in thinking that I will be grieving. No one else draws Matt Murdock like Maleev. I'm in love with a line drawing. Sigh.

It's not easy being a fangirl. We are so outnumbered in the comic readership world. Thankfully, my local comic shop is nice to me. I don't spend exorbitant sums in there; I don't read forty titles a month. Comic shop Dave meets me at the door with the latest issue of Daredevil in hand. He knows what else I like to read, and if there is even the most obscure reference to DD in another title, he knows I want to know about it. This is really nice, because I have gone into other LCS and endured the silent treatment. The looks that say "she must have wandered into the wrong store" or "her grandchildren (EEK!) must have sent her to buy the latest Spider-Man". That was a little while ago now, before I decided what the hell? Go ahead and wear that DD tshirt into the store and while I'm at it, why should my hair be grey? Now they think I might just be shopping for my kids. I don't have any of those, either. These comics are for ME, fanboy!

I now enjoy status as a full-fledged comic-reading fangirl geek. It's wonderful. Thanks to the internet, I have other people to talk with about my obsession over my favourite superheroes. I have successfully defended my title of World's Biggest Daredevil Fan at a comic book convention. I have met some of my artist idols, and even have gotten my name (and a very small picture) in the pages of a real comic book. It's geek love. Heh.

A good friend, after seeing my Daredevil shrine atop my computer desk and my comic boxes full of the forty year saga of Daredevil, christened me with my blog name, Darediva. I thank her for that. I wear it proudly.

Oh, and I picked up New Avengers today, too.

*********

PS to yesterday: the cable guy said my problem was that cheap Walmart coax cable from my tv to the wall. I did get to successfully tape Blind Justice last night. Great episode. I do hope this show makes a second season.

2 comments:

Justin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Justin said...

Well, rock on fangirl. I will let you in on a little secret. I think sometimes even fanboys don't feel like they are in a group setting. Just yesterday, I was outside the shop (not accessible) and I would see the stereotypical fan walk out... and I would think, I wonder what he has in the bag. I bet I could have a good conversation, and off he goes wondering why I have just waved at him from the passenger seat of my car. Sometimes for fleeting moments I wish there was that kind of community... toss the comics on the table... read and share thoughts.

And then my partner comes out, and I mention this, and she says, "They all are just wierd." I am wierd... "Yeah but I love you." So that would be the end of that. Oh yeah, and Blind Justice all the way to season two and beyond!