Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Beware the Ides of March

As I was paying bills today, the date hit me. Every year, I think on this day back to my sophomore year in high school, when Mrs. Winder so cleverly timed our reading of Julius Caesar so that Brutus did his deed on the very day. She ranks way up on the list of people who shaped my young life, as she was not only my English teacher, but also the yearbook advisor. I worked three years with her on the high school yearbook, and the literary magazine we published. What a fun time! And we did it all by hand, because I am back there in the B.C. era. We shot real film, cropped real photos (with cropping tape!), lettered the title pages and did the art with india ink. We had to have our pages approved by the school board, and I got my first taste of rebellious act when I dared submit cover art for the 1970 yearbook that was NOT in the school colors of purple and white. The school board viewed the mock-up, and one member reportedly said, "Of course, this WILL be purple and white, not yellow and orange on black?" Mrs. Winder stood her ground, replying that it was to be done as shown. There was no rubberstamp approval that night. Instead, the issue was taken before the student body for a vote. After a bit of rousing debate on campus, my design was narrowly approved. For once, the art won over the athletic department. To appease the jocks, we put their group picture in with a purple tint.

******
I'm still battling someone's idea of a joke...this about:blank that is plaguing my computer. What makes people so desperate for attention that they need to destroy things? Et tu, Brute?

1 comment:

Kit said...

sounds like you had a really cool english teacher. 8^)

hope you're computer gets better. sounds like you've got a homepage hijiacker, but i'd have to see it to be sure. of course, i could be wrong...