Thursday, June 21, 2007

Downer Diva

I was reading an e-newsletter that I get called The Professional Quilter just now, and in it found a sad note that Gail Broadwater died today, June 21, 2007, after a long battle with cancer. I'd known Gail and her mom for many years as part of the same quilting clubs and she was undoubtedly one of the best longarm machine quilters anywhere. It struck me as how out of touch I have become with the quilting community. I had no idea she was even ill. To think I read the news online about someone who lives the next town over. I feel terrible about it.

I suppose this goes to show how isolated I've let myself become. Seldom do I go anywhere that is not necessary, like to the grocery store, UPS store, or to Memphis to the doctor. I'm not leaving a huge "carbon footprint" because my driving is down to the minimum; in fact, I might buy two tankfuls of gas a month, but only if I've had to drive myself to Memphis. I'm more often than not riding the free shuttle van that the Disabled American Veterans chapter provides.

Maybe this is all due to my feeling like crap most of the time. Tired is my middle name. The smallest effort seems to spend all of my energy. My back is giving me a really bad time of late, and in fact, tomorrow I go for an MRI to see what is going on there. The plan is to meet with the neurologist right after the MRI to determine if there is anything that can be done, or if I am totally out of luck. Guess I will know something this time tomorrow.

1 comment:

Justin said...

Been feeling similar, Alice. I hope things pick up for you soon. All the best on that MRI and the like.