Sunday, April 23, 2006

More Work in Progress


This is how we build a quilt...

Step one: Trash through the extensive fabric stash for that one piece that is PERFECT for Pyrus' hair, Gunther's boots, or the archer's outfit. The inner sanctum of the domestic goddess will remain in total chaos until the project is finished.

Who wants to clean up when you are in manic creative mode? Not me.

The pattern is traced onto a fusible webbing, placed on the back of the specific fabric, and cut out. K got introduced tonight to the joys of pinning patterns to fabric.

This is Gunther's hair and his collar to his cape. On the white sheet behind are random pieces of his armour waiting to be cut out.

This is the elven(sp?) archer's face and headpiece.

We will be working this piece from the background to the foreground.

The pieces are assembled and pressed onto the background fabric with a small Clover iron. I have to wear white gloves when I work with fabric. A few years ago, I developed the occupational hazard of dye allergies. My hands crack open and bleed when I handle fabric if I don't wear these lovely designer gloves with the fingertips cut off.

Details will be added when the stitching begins. All the facial features and garment details will be done in free motion machine embroidery.

We had to quit at midnight. K has to go back to her real job, and I have to go to Memphis to the VA for an eye exam. I do hope it doesn't take all day.

4 comments:

wonda said...

I will never be able to do this intricate art of yours. Have been praying for your fluorescein angiogram. Let me know how it went.

s-fallow said...

This looks gorgeous. I love seeing the work in progress.

With this deadline, are you still planning to travel to TX for FCBD?

I imagine this beautiful memorial project has taken precedence over shirt mass production.

For whenever, I've been thinking of phrases for you.


More soon,
S

Darediva said...

The tests all went rather well. I have no huge amount of deterioration, and no leaky blood vessels, so that's good news. I don't like the new glasses at all, but they will do another assessment in about a month to see what I really need for reading. I was a bit perturbed by one of the doctors, who seemed to have a rote answer for everyone he saw yesterday. He advised me to go to Walmart and try on the reading glasses they have there! What??? And to buy some artificial tears. I heard him say the same thing to three men ahead of me. I think he must be a short-timer, just treading water until his tenure at the VA is over and he can go out and make righteous bucks on Lasik surgeries. Grrr....

***

Yes, the trip to Dallas for FCBD is still on! We will leave on Cinco de Mayo and do the show the 6th. I have to have the slides(digital pictures) postmarked by May 2, so I will be done and dusted by then.

Yes, all things are set aside now until this one is done. I intend to take some shirts with me to Dallas, and I have cards and bookmarks brailled out to give away. Busy, busy!

wonda said...

I understand. Sometimes we have to check things out ourselves.