Saturday, February 11, 2006

What is it about men in tights?

I've been watching Chad Hendrick, the Texan, win his gold medal in the men's speed skating event. As he was whuppin' up on the competition, I was standing in the kitchen, grilling some shish kebobs, minus the veggies (so is that a shish-less kebob, or a kebob-less shish?), and finding myself actually swaying in time to this guy blasting down the ice.

His emotions had bubbled to the surface earlier in the day, making for increased drama for the commentators. Seems this is the anniversary of his grandmother's death, and she was one of his biggest cheerleaders when he was growing up. For a guy who only rollerbladed up until four years ago, this was an amazing performance. After the definite victory, he said he had written her name across the front of one of his skates, and he was going for it for her. Kinda cool, I thought. Not to mention that Chad looks great in tights.

The pairs figure skating is on tonight too. I am one of the klutziest people on earth, so the grace and poise of skaters has me living a vicarious moment, every time I watch it. I can only skate in my dreams, and once in a while, I get to do it, without the requisite busting of my rather ample arse. In my dreams, I get to wear that sparkly skater's dress, and the glistening skates carry me swiftly across a frozen landscape. I'm thin, I'm lithe, and I'm almost floating. I am grateful for my nighttime fantasies. They make the reality somehow easier to take, as strange as that sounds.

And the guy who is skating with me? Man, does he look great in tights! And usually they are red ones. Heh.

2 comments:

Justin said...

Very nice entry. I think we all have those moments that we live vicariously through, and in the case of sports events we are probably all the safer for it. Looking forward to the next blog post.

Kev said...

I used to skate, every weekend, at the ice rink in Richmond, London. I wasn't too bad, although looking at those skaters tonight, I am still, after all these years of watching, mesmerised by the impossible grace and agility they display. It is extraordinary, and very beautiful.

My sister and I are taking to the ice again, early next month, to celebrate the ninth birthday of Thing One. She likes skating, and my sister and I are taking a small group of children to the rink. Yes, Kev of the decidedly dodgy sacrum (and not nearly ample enough arse), and Jules, who is chiefly known for breaking bones whilst skateboarding across the kitchen, amongst other unlikely feats.

It may be a spectacular disaster, but the younger skaters might find it amusing. I will persuade my brother in law to take photos, I think. That will give you something to laugh at ;)