Saturday, May 07, 2005

Warped sense of humour

Some of the strangest things set me off. I was driving through Birmingham, Alabama, recently on the way home from a business trip. We had somehow gotten onto a truck route through a less than wonderful part of town, and it widened out into a bigger road through a row of non-descript buildings.

Emblazoned across the side of one of these was "Alabama Center for the Blind". Ok, not funny in itself, but in context. Plain brick building with absolutely no windows. I snickered. My friend who was riding shotgun looked at me like I was crazy. I elaborated on what I thought was funny. She was less than amused, I could tell. Oops. I just crossed the crass line.

Two blocks later, other side of the street. "Alabama Limb and Prosthetic Company". Hmm...do we have a pattern here?

A couple more blocks and a huge sign proclaims "Limp in....Leap out!" What the hell was this? A faith healing place?? It was an establishment that sold auto and truck springs. I lost it. I began to look for the street sign now, sure it would read "Gimp Alley" or some such. Ok, guess you had to be there. And be going on three hours sleep. Told you I'm warped. Forgive me.

3 comments:

Kev said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kev said...

Ooops, I entered an empty comment, I think...

What I meant to say was...Oh dear, I fear you are seriously warped. Still, it makes me feel considerably less lonely here in the Warped Sense of Humo(u)r corner...so, grab a drink (Dr Pepper and gin), and let us snigger in unison ;-)

SRH said...

so.... you found oddly and questionably worded signs in B'ham, Alabama? This surprises you how? I had the unfortunate occurrence to have grown up in B'ham, and let me tell you, they are not that bright there.

Anyway... Just read through most of what is still currently visible on your page. Enjoyable read, gonna add you to the favs