Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Hurrier I Go, The Behinder I Get

The harder I try to get ahead, the farther behind I slide. I've been trying to sell things on ebay for well over a year now, and with the increases in fees and the way the structure has changed, I'm beginning to think it's not worth my time and effort. A good third of what I brought in last month went right back to ebay in listing fees, store fees, and final value fees. Of course, I know that I listed probably three times as many items as I normally do, but it's really hard to justify the effort if someone else is raking in most of the profit.

My income is not keeping up with my outgo. I am on a rather fixed income, dependent mostly on my veteran's compensation check each month. By the time I pay rent, insurance, utilities, phone, and cable(which is mostly my internet ISP since I only subscribe to the minimum basic tv cable channels), it's the fourth of the month, and there is nothing left for food. I try to eek out a tank of gas a month for the car. Most of the time, I stay home, only going out to the post office when I have to send parcels, and to visit my mother at the nursing home. I don't eat out, except to take my mom lunch on Sundays. It's not like I'm a wasteful spender.

Last month, I broke down to the point of applying for food stamps. Well, guess what? I don't qualify. I have no children, live by myself, and do not live in squalid HUD housing. I own a seven year old car that I paid for entirely on my own. I don't do drugs, drink alcohol or smoke. I don't have a live-in boyfriend or illegitimate children. But I'm not far enough down the ladder to get any assistance. Go figure.

Therefore, I am taking up on an offer that my ex-husband has proposed: move back in with him. We have really continued to be friends even after the divorce, and it's not like I'd have to break in a new roommate. We are known quantities, so things will work out. At least I won't starve this way. ; )

1 comment:

wonda said...

Alice,
Make sure you get everything down in black and white. Always thinking of you. Perhaps you should write a book and it's what I have been telling you.