Friday, June 16, 2006

Reworking the scrapbooks

It's been a long time since I stuck all this stuff into one of those horrible "magnetic pages" albums. Last week I found a really nice photo album with those archival slip in pages that was marked down to $4.99. Bargain! It also has the Navy emblem on the front, and twenty empty pages!

This particular page isn't going into that particular album, but buying THAT album got me started pulling things out to do a rework of the old albums.

The origami paper doll and the paper are some things I picked up when I first got on island. I am such a packrat! Still have UNFOLDED origami paper I bought in 1984! One of the coolest things I discovered when I got to Okinawa was the brush pen. I'd never seen one before, and I just loved writing with them, and the title strip was one of the first things I did with that new implement.

Looking through my scrapbooks, I now know that there is a whole lot of material here to play with, and remember the good days I spent halfway around the world. I used to scrapbook before it was the thing to do. I can't believe all the stuff in the scrapbooking aisles of the stores now. To me, scrapbooking is putting the stuff you collected yourself into a book. Maybe I've just always been such a packrat that I have all kinds of cool stuff to use! My goal is to buy nothing except maybe some background paper and the page sleeves to store the pages. I want to keep the funky album covers I bought overseas. That's the charm of scrapbooks, to me.

2 comments:

wonda said...

Hello again Alice,
You are so artistic! How about adding in some Japanese characters? I still keep my stuff of 30 years ago. The only scrapbook I had is floral arrangement. Kenji and I just attended a free lesson on Hina Dolls origami yesterday. BTW, do you still remember how to fold the kimono? Would like to learn from you. I only know how to fold a Japanese traditional coat.

Darediva said...

No, I don't remember how to fold it! I have already stuck it down in the book or I would unfold and figure it out. I may have directions somewhere in one of my origami books.

I have some kanji stamps that I might use along in the book. Also some stamps I bought while there, one for "ai" and a Happy New Year stamp and one for year of the Ox.

I'll post the pages as I work them up.